public lectures

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    SHF Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask a Historian about Saratoga!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurarosepowell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote

When I visited your museum to research Sarah Brown, I was told about an organization that presented lectures for the American public across the nation. This organization was trying to improve the education of the American public by offering talks by the brightest and best of the day. It had an American Indian name, but I can't recall it. I've tried looking on the web but no luck. Can you help me? I want to see if there is some way to find out what lecturers were on tap during the later 1800's, and what influence they may have had on the people of that time, especially in the Eastern U.S.
Thank you,
Laura Rose
Katie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:18 am      Reply with quote

Hi Laura--
I wasn't there during your visit. But perhaps you mean the Chautauqua Societies. Chataqua is a city in upstate New York where the lecture program was begun. They were were popular in the 1800's, and still continue today.
Hope that helps--Katie
laurarosepowell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 am      Reply with quote

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if there is any way to find out what their programs, especially their speakers were in 1880ish? I am writing a novel about one of my ancestors who was influenced by them, and I'd like to get as much specificity as I can about who she might have heard.
Laura
Katie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:04 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Laura--
I don't know that much about the Chautauqua movement. There are books published on it and some of those may have the specific speakers. You'll need to do research at your library. Also the Chautauqua Institute is in New York and may have a historian, who could help you.

The Chautauqua movement began as religious training during the summer in 1870's, -- sort of a fun summer camp with interesting speakers-- in Chautauqua New York. It evolved into an education program for the general public. The program was very popular and was mimicked in other locations- with their own local speakers. The Chautauqua movement in NY also had a program of speakers who would travel to various towns and speak-- a speakers circuit. I THINK Mark Twain, William Jennings Bryant and other prominent progressive speakers were on the circuit. Like I said, you would have to do more research to find out who spoke where your relative lived. --
Good luck with your research. --Katie
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    SHF Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask a Historian about Saratoga! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: