Laura M. Hansen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    SHF Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask a Historian about Saratoga!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
South123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 pm      Reply with quote

I spent most of my childhood in Saratoga from 1968 - 1990, I now live in Carlsbad, CA which is ironically another town that gets its name from a different place i.e. Carlsbad Bohemia, due to similar water quality.

Anyway, I attended Laura M. Hansen Elementary School (now McAuliffe), from 1969 - 1975, and have always wondered about the history of the site. I do remember a plaque in the library, but never got around to reading it.

Someone once told me that Laura M. Hansen donated the land to the district, as I think the school was built sometime between 1964 - 1966. I believe that I have somewhat confirmed this by the following information that I found on the City of Saratoga Heritage site, about the Andersen house on Titus Ave.

"This apparent farmhouse was built in the 1880's by James and Christina Andersen who emigrated
from Denmark. Their children were all born and raised in the house. The Andersens owned ten
acres and could see through their orchard to Saratoga Creek to the east. James was a farmer and
raised prunes and few apricots. Their neighbors to the north were the Hansens (Mrs. Hansen was
Christina's sister). Hansen School is now located there."

Is anything else known about the Hansen's?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    SHF Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask a Historian about Saratoga! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: