Old Adobe

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    SHF Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask a Historian about Saratoga!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Johnson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:13 pm      Reply with quote

We had a server crash and lost a posted message. I'll re-post it here with the response:

Original message:
Quote:
When I was growing up in Saratoga I remember an old adobe near the intersection of 9 and Quito Road, possibly on Austin Way. If I recall, it was single level and had an inner court yard. It looked very old. I have always had a dream of building something similiar.

Does anyone know it's history and if it is still there. What I really want is to see it.

Thank you for your help.
Gary

Response:
Quote:
Dear Gary,

The most spectacular "adobe style" house in Saratoga in located at 15231 Quito Road, just below Highway 9. It is known as Casa Tierra and it was built between 1941 and 1943 by two missionery ladies from the Boston area. Their names were Maude Meagher and Carolyn Smiley and their home is truly remarkable.

The house is spectacular - it is 13,000 square feet and was used as a their home and business. They published a children's magazine known as World Youth and their printing plant was on the premises.

They made the adobe bricks themselves, scavenged seconds on decorative tiles from local manufacturers and used discarded automobile windows for window glass. Because they were building during the time of World War II, building materials were scarce.

The house fell into disrepair and was lovingly restored over many years by a local family. The house went on the market last year and was finally sold. The Saratoga Museum featured the home in their garden tour last May when it was on the market.

The house and grounds are protected by an iron gate - maybe you can stand outside and make wistful noises and perhaps the owner is a kind soul who will give you a tour.

April Halberstadt
Saratoga Museum
BeenHereSince1956

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:37 am      Reply with quote

Gary--

I grew up in the area of Quito Road.

In response to your question: in the 1980s, I learned from a person whose family established a local fish 'n chip eatery and who lived on Sobey, that the house in question could possibly be owned by a doctor.

Been Here Since 1956
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    SHF Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask a Historian about Saratoga! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: