Bohlman Road history

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    SHF Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask a Historian about Saratoga!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjmikl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:45 am      Reply with quote

I have been trying to find some history on Bohlman Road.

The name had been previously also known as Bollman Road.

Two names that pop out as settlers in the mid to later 1800's is HF Norton and Fred Quickert.

I couldn't come across a Bollman, Bohlman or Kitridge.

I appears it was just outside of the boundry of Rancho Quito.

How did the first owners of this land obtain it? Through a grant? Approximately what year would have this been?

Any idea when Bollman/Bohlman road was "cut"?

Any idea why and when the name changed?

Any idea the year the City of Saratoga annexed it as Saratoga Heights Addition?

Any other interesting history or facts of this area.

thank you, Mark
BeenHereSince1956

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:28 pm      Reply with quote

Hi there! Earlier I too was curious about this road. I've jotted down answers to fit your questions. Please visit 70 West Hedding as well since 19th century settlers wanted to carve out their residence and of course the road or street was named after them.

1. Name: Bollman. An ordinance established Bollman Road. I have Bollman Rd 327 General in my notes, and 1962 Bollman, as well as the current name spelled Bohlman in 1958/1959. I'd guess that whomever was working on the paperwork may have known either person (2. below) or was told to print/write it that way.

2. Surveyors(?): GM Bollman and CP Bollman, April 1884 and July 7, 1884.
I believe these 2 men were related.

Idea Check with the City of Saratoga to learn about annexation. This is news to me.
2. I'd ask the city first about Bohlman Road if you haven't already. The notes I took just lists the surnames of people living on this road since the 1950s to 1980s. Since John Brown's 2nd wife lived on this road, I'd estimate that the older the paperwork the more hidden it is.
mjmikl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:30 am      Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.

I guess maybe an easier place to start to determine the history of Bollman/Bohlman Road is to find family history for any of the street names with surnames along Bollman/Bohlman.

Does anyone have any knowledge of any persons/families with the following surname streets along Bohlman?

HF Norton
Fred or Marvel Quickert
Kittridge
Belnap
Archibald
BeenHereSince1956

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:49 pm      Reply with quote

Oops! I never mentioned to visit the county building for old road history. Visit 70 W. Hedding Street for the beginnings of this road. I believe the department is on the top floor.

Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    SHF Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask a Historian about Saratoga! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: