West Valley College

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    SHF Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask a Historian about Saratoga!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juneld

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:51 pm      Reply with quote

We believe some (or all) of the land on which West Valley College sits was at one time owned by the Gardner family (Daniel Gardner, William Sherman Gardner). Do you have any history about this site and the other two houses that were there as well (one was a stucco with red tile roof and the other one used as community education building at one time)? If you don't have history, could you refer me?
Also, there was said to be a diary of Daniel Gardner's travels west. Is it, or any of his papers, in your possession?
I may need to come to research. I'll call for an appointment.
Thank you,
Junel Davidsen, CG
831-206-1602
Salinas California

RustyL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:23 pm      Reply with quote

I am also searching for info about the name of the red tile roof building that was demolished (1967-69) on the West Valley Campus. I seem to recall it was an Old Folks Home or later an education center.

Can anyone place a name to it?
Rusty LaGrange 760-248-6777

juneld wrote:
We believe some (or all) of the land on which West Valley College sits was at one time owned by the Gardner family (Daniel Gardner, William Sherman Gardner). Do you have any history about this site and the other two houses that were there as well (one was a stucco with red tile roof and the other one used as community education building at one time)? If you don't have history, could you refer me?
Also, there was said to be a diary of Daniel Gardner's travels west. Is it, or any of his papers, in your possession?
I may need to come to research. I'll call for an appointment.
Thank you,
Junel Davidsen, CG
831-206-1602
Salinas California
South123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 am      Reply with quote

If my memory serves me correctly, there are 2 or 3 un-restored houses on the campus to this day, the most interesting one by the bus circle, this has always led me to believe that the land consisted of the conglomeration of a few properties.

I also remember, hidden in the trees by the student union a spectacular waterfall that few ever see from the creek that runs through the campus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    SHF Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask a Historian about Saratoga! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: